Sunday, July 6, 2014

A Weekend in the Sun!

Good evening!
What a GORGEOUS weekend in Seattle it has been! Since we arrived, we have been hearing from everyone that as soon as July 4th rolls around, summer decides to show up and it's beautiful out from then on. I guess they were right, it has been hot, sunny and delightful here! I hope everyone had a wonderful Independence Day. 

I will admit part of my heart was back at home in MN since my family spent the day on the boat, Lotsa Ladies, out on Lake Minnetonka together. It has been a few years since the boat has been in the water so it was a bitter pill to swallow when I heard that the first cruise in several years would be without Travis and I onboard. However, it did bring me a lot of joy to know that my family was out on the teal cruiser enjoying a lovely day doing what we Engstrom folk love best...being on the water, enjoying some good tunes, cuisine and the best company around. It brought a smile to my face to imagine my favorite skipper, Captain Jimbo, back where he belongs : ) 

Trav and I enjoyed our first July 4th here in Seattle, we went on a nice 25 mile bike ride and explored the Burke Gilman Trail. The trail was extremely busy with everyone out for the holiday, but it was a nice ride by the water around Lake Union and some other parts of the city. We stopped for lunch and enjoyed our favorite trail snack (PB&J sammies). Here are a few photos from our ride:





As I have shared, we are moving into a new apartment later this week, so most of our weekend was spent packing. Oh how fun it is to pack up all your things only two and a half months after arriving in your new home. Oh well! Onto bigger and better (and quieter) things! 

One of the things that really bothered me about the move process out here was the amount of paper waste that we generated with the movers we used. Don't get me wrong, it was really nice to have a relocation company come pack you up and move it all for you, but I was disgusted by the amount of cardboard and paper that they used. This time I rented "Frogboxes" instead of using cardboard boxes...they are plastic totes that you rent for a few weeks and then return so others can use them. 



Although I love the Frogboxes, packing up your stuff in a tiny apartment while trying to live there a few more days is challenging! We are so excited for the move, especially because our favorite moving expert is coming to help us : ) My dad happened to be traveling out to Seattle for work the same week we were planning to move, so he graciously offered to help us. As many of you know, with four daughters who have done their share of moving around, he is quite the expert in moving efficiently. We can't wait to see him and are so lucky that we have such generous people in our lives who are always there for us! 

Since the weather was so phenomenal today, we were looking for an excuse to get out onto the water. Since we don't have a boat, or know anyone with a boat, we figured it was a good excuse to pretend to be tourists for the day. We decided to take the "Duck Boat Tour" around the city, which is split across land and water. It was a fun way to learn a bit more about the city, see a few places we haven't ventured to yet, and of course get out onto Lake Union. Here are a few shots from the excursion, we saw lots of cute houesboats and even a Delorean (very random). 










We finished off the day with a few hours up on the rooftop deck at our apartment. My pale MN skin needed some color (not without SPF 50 of course) and it was too nice out to be inside. Per usual, I was tortured by the departure of the cruise ships right outside our door. On a scale of 1 to 10 my desire to jump on one of these and head to Alaska is a solid 12. Needless to say, watching them pull away from the dock every weekend is just a slap in the face. However, the view isn't too bad, so I can't complain : ) 



Not too much else to report except a busy week ahead with packing and moving! Can't wait to report next weekend from our new location in Lower Queen Anne! Here are a few other random photos from the week, including Trav's favorite Seattle breakfast discovery (Brioche French Toast), some pics of Seattle Center and of course a cat or two!









Enjoy your week, we miss you all!
Cheers!
KP

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a delightful weekend. Love that first pic of the two of you! Good luck with the move - so awesome that Jim will be there to help! Looking forward to reading about your new place. :)

    ReplyDelete